Saturday, June 23, 2007

Scents, Sights & Sounds Of Summer



Remember the last day you felt you accomplished everything you wanted?

Mrs. Joe had to work from 7 to 6 today, so I had Peanut & The Champ all to myself. The weather here has been fantastic. I knew we would spend most of it outside so I had to go get the sunblock and take full advantage.

Let me stop here and note that the smell of sunblock on anybody under the age of 5 is the greatest smell of anything summer.

I fed them breakfast (munchkins from Dunkin Donuts, no effort required) and we were out the door by 9:00. The Champ has been going to a T-ball instructional program at the park for the last few Saturdays and today was the last day.

Yeah, I hear you.

"Instructional T-ball? When I was a kid..."

This is all my fair city offers 5 year olds. He can't play anything structured until next year. He loves it but he's a little bored. We are outside 3-4 times a week in the back yard playing ball and he has a blast. And I PITCH him the ball. No friggin' tee here.

Anyway, I had to entertain Peanut while The Champ was playing 2nd base. He wasn't really playing 2nd base as much as he was standing near 2nd base trying to dig a hole to China with his cleats. (I said he was bored.) I remembered to bring a bottle of bubbles and ended up keeping her, along with 3 other kids occupied for most of the time. After T-ball we came home, had some lunch (PB & fluff sandwiches, some effort required) and put Peanut down for a nap.

Once she woke up I figured we would wash my car. It hasn't been washed yet this year. (Where's the high school cheerleader car wash when you need it?) We all ended up getting pretty wet and although it wasn't the best wash, watching the two of them with the hose was the most fun I've ever had washing a car.

We had some dinner (chicken nuggets and mac-n-cheese, GASP, I had to use appliances) and were back outside for some more baseball with The Champ while Peanut played in her jungle gym. Mrs. Joe came home and we gave the kids a bath, read them some stories and put them to bed.

Sitting here with a beer in my hand, basking in my accomplishments of today and feeling summer has begun, I look towards the end of next week. We go on vacation to Cape Cod every year for the 4th of July and I am now realizing I am so-not-at-all-ready to go.

So goes that feeling of accomplishment.

Well maybe I'll start to worry after this beer.



Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

Great post. I have lots of comments.

I love the smell of sunblock too. (Guys probably shouldn't discuss this, but Yankee Candle makes a great sunscreen scent. I don't remember the specific name of it.)

We love having muchkins for breakfast too. Clare calls them rollies.

Unfortunately, for all our practice, Clare has actually made contact with a pitched ball maybe twice in her life.

Our car gets washed maybe once or twice a year too.

I also like Sam's Summer Ale. And the Cape, but I haven't been there in a few years...we've been going to Rhode Island more often.

Enjoy the summer.

Sun Jun 24, 12:48:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Sue said...

The scent (for you guys out there) is Sun and Sand....and I love love love the smell of Coppertone...

Sounds like a great day was had by all!

Sun Jun 24, 07:46:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

Sounds like a great day.

I haven't even looked into getting my oldest into some sort of organized sport. He just turned 4. Hope I didn't miss my window at a scholarship.

Tell Darren to keep his wussy candle talk to himself- or at least private emails. Besides, Illuminations is much nicer.

Sun Jun 24, 08:00:00 PM 2007  
Blogger charlottalove said...

You sound like quite the chief. :o)

Mon Jun 25, 08:48:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

You're living in the wrong part of Massachusetts. AND you are vacationing on the wrong seaside place...even though they "improved" the bridge, I think you will still be sittin' in that darn traffic! (thus, I go north)

Mon Jun 25, 04:16:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

What a great day! And excellent summertime food. Glad everything was just perfect. As for heading to the Cape for the Fourth...good luck! Crossing the bridge in holiday traffic is never fun.

Mon Jun 25, 08:32:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Ah, the fluffernutter -- the sandwich of kings. Man, that takes me back...

Tue Jun 26, 09:33:00 AM 2007  
Blogger fatty said...

fabulous accomplishments.. a beer well earned..

Fri Jun 29, 11:36:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home