Tuesday, June 19, 2007

New Brood In The Hood

I hope all the dads out there had a good Father’s Day. Mine was nice. I received some homemade gifts from the kids as well as two shirts from Mrs. Joe. The one thing I asked for and received was a few hours to myself. No, not to sit in front of the TV, although that would've been nice. I wanted to get outside and clean up the yard. I enjoy being outside on a beautiful day and the lawn needed to be mowed. Usually, Peanut and The Champ are “helping” me do the yard work which means it takes me twice as long to do anything. I've learned as a parent, you never can focus on one task at a time. You need to be able to work on what you have in front of you as well as watch/teach/aide/control the young ones who are running though your legs. So thankfully, Mrs. Joe was accommodating to my one request and kept the kids busy so I could get outside for awhile.

I was able to mow the lawn without worrying if anybody was going to be sucked into the lawnmower as they followed me around. I got to clean the flower beds a little without needing to explain the difference between a flower and a weed. I was accomplishing a bunch and feeling pretty good. I then went to tackle the forsythia bushes. They grew out of control this spring and were in definite need of a trim.

As I was about half done, a bird flew out of the bushes and scared the shit out me. What happened then was amazing. All these little chirps started coming from the bush, right where I was just cutting. I pushed the branches aside and this is what I saw:


Three baby robins sitting in a nest not five feet off the ground. Seems I scared the adult in the nest enough to take flight, almost into my forehead. I couldn't have been 6 inches away from the nest with the trimmers.

I finished trimming the bushes ever so gently and cleaned up the area. I went and got a few slices of bread, tore them into pieces and left them in the grass below. I then brought out the kids & Mrs. Joe to show them the babies and to tell them to be careful around the bush.

Stumbling onto that nest of chicks was confirmation that you can only escape from you duties as a father for so long before something like a child’s cry, or in this case a robin’s chirp, brings you back.

Meanwhile, it looks like I have three more little ones to keep an eye on when I am outside in the yard.

9 Comments:

Blogger Whit said...

Very cool. I'm surprised they built the nest so low.

Tue Jun 19, 11:56:00 PM 2007  
Blogger creative-type dad said...

I'm surprised the nest was low too.
That male bird must have been watching TV at the time.

Wed Jun 20, 01:41:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Chaos Control said...

How fun! We just found a nest on the top of one of our arbors ... can't wait to see what pops out!!

Wed Jun 20, 02:30:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

neato. I found a nest in a wreath on a door once. that's it. great photo.

Wed Jun 20, 06:39:00 AM 2007  
Blogger charlottalove said...

Honey, you know what I really want for Father's Day? Let me mow the lawn please...

...oh, alright.

Wed Jun 20, 10:07:00 AM 2007  
Blogger fatty said...

happy father's day you...

what a great gift..

Wed Jun 20, 11:09:00 AM 2007  
Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Love this post :) - fanks

x

Wed Jun 20, 05:11:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

Nice. Did the mom come back? Did you finish trimming the forsythia?

Wed Jun 20, 05:26:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Who does the yardwork during their "time off"?

Again with the above average-ness!

Thu Jun 21, 08:49:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home