Saturday, May 05, 2007

Helping Put My Mechanic's Kids Through College

We have had some more car troubles here this past week. No, not Mrs. Joe's Escape, again. For a change it was my car. My "check engine" light came on this time.

Let me pause by again saying if you find a mechanic you trust, don't question him. Ever. I trust my mechanic and have trusted him for 10 years. Again, refer to Mrs. Joe's Escape. But this time I had to bite my tongue. When I went to pick it up, we played "good news, bad news".

The "good news" he said, was the diagnosis:




No, I didn't leave the gas cap off. The gasket on the gas cap was cracked and fumes were getting out of the tank.

The "bad news" he said, was the cost:



It seems you can't just replace the gasket, you have to replace the whole cap. Apparently, the going rate for a simple gas cap these days is over $20.

More "bad news" he added, you now have to include labor:




It took him two hours to figure out that it was the gas cap that was causing the "check engine" light to come on. Shouldn't today's cars, with all their computers tell you exactly what it is? Again, I didn't question him. I thanked him for not telling me I needed a major repair, paid the bill and came home...

wondering if his kids are attending classes at Harvard or Yale.

8 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

You are absolutely right...we finally have a good mechanic and we do what he says. And if we help his kids get a good education, that's fine with me.

Sat May 05, 09:41:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

Clare's Mom had the same problem with our GMC Envoy last week. She said the check engine light came on it was something about the gas cap; it also stalled once. It's been okay since then though. Is yours a GM?

Mon May 07, 12:04:00 PM 2007  
Blogger fatty said...

i would gladly pay to put a mechanic's kid through college after watching my husband try to save money by doing it himself.
he assures me the parts he couldn't find a place for when he was finished really weren't needed anyway.. :o)~

Mon May 07, 12:50:00 PM 2007  
Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Hi - I found your blob via Em's place :) - you have a lovely blob here....... Ive left a post on your posting of your elderly neighbours...... I know its way back but it bought tears to me eyes.....

x

Mon May 07, 01:26:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

We had the same thing happend with a cap on a Saturn, might be an epidemic.


The Mendoza Line? Love it!

Mon May 07, 02:44:00 PM 2007  
Blogger creative-type dad said...

I think that explains why my mechanic drives a fancy BMW.

Don't trust a mechanic with a fancy car.

Tue May 08, 11:15:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

This is why I married a man who is a mechanical genius. Not only has he saved us a bundle fixing our cars himself, but he's sexy when he's got grease smudged on his face.

Grrrr....wink, wink!

Tue May 08, 11:35:00 AM 2007  
Blogger FENICLE said...

Isn't it crazy that such a simple problem cost that amount of money? I despise cars.

Every family needs an accountant, a doctor, a lawyer & a mechanic!!!

Fri May 11, 10:06:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home