Friday, May 18, 2007

Good Cop, Bad Cop, Hot Cop

The Champ is a thumb sucker. Not too bad but enough, now that he is almost 6, that it is beginning to bug us. We have tried in vain to have him kick the habit.

At first, Mrs. Joe played the Good Cop,

"Champ, please take your thumb out of your mouth."

When that stopped working, I played the Bad Cop. I would flick his hand with my index finger followed by...

"Champ, take that thumb out of your mouth or I'll flick it again."

That had worked for a while. But eventually that failed too.

We then tried this with no success. We even tried this. No, we didn't pay for it. We borrowed it from a friend. All attempts failed. Eventually, all hope was lost.

Until now.

Enter Hot Cop.


Usually, once Good Cop & Bad Cop have been proven ineffective, we give him Texas Pete, or "Petey" as we like to call him. We tell him that holding onto Petey is a reminder to not stick his thumb in his mouth. But once in awhile, the thumb gets the better of him and The Champ gets to taste the wrath of Petey. Not too much, just a drop, but enough that it gets the point across.

So far, Petey, has kept The Champ's thumb sucking to a minimum. If anybody has any other ideas, please share.

Because I'm afraid he will get used to Petey and start asking for burritos for breakfast.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Sorry, I've got no ideas on this one. My initial reaction is to just let him suck his thumb. He isn't hurting anyone. But at 6 years old, he will start getting some grief from peers before long. Though that might be the very thing that encourages him to stop. Sometimes that natural feedback is the most powerful.

Sat May 19, 09:43:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Dan said...

you could always do a thumemdectomy. Garden shears work well.

The hot sauce sounds the more sensible option however

Sat May 19, 10:41:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous uumomma said...

I feel the same as em... peer pressure can work in our favor sometimes.
I am pretty sure he won’t be sucking his thumb in his cap and gown on grad day...But he might be smoking. Because his need for oral comfort was taken away too soon.
You have to decide what you can handle, a thumb sucking child, or cigarette smoking teen/adult?

Sat May 19, 11:26:00 AM 2007  
Blogger creative-type dad said...

That's plastic thumb thing is crazy!

I say, you just duct tape the kid's hands together, that way he just sucks on the tape.

I got my nephew to stop biting his nails by getting him to chew on napkins. That's what I did to stop when I was 19. Eventually I stopped biting napkins (that happened a few days ago...)

Sun May 20, 12:57:00 AM 2007  
Blogger fatty said...

i say save mr. petey for the burritos. as a former thumbsucker i have to agree with em...
i think i was about 7 before i grew out of it. i don't remember a specific instance of peer pressure, but i do remember knowing i didn't want to do it around other kids... which eventually led to not doing it at all.

Mon May 21, 10:14:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

I was a thumbsucker. DEFEND THUMBSUCKING RIGHTS NOW!!!!

Tue May 22, 02:15:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Petey is also works wonders when the nine year old boy likes to drop the F-bomb infront of his mother.

Much more effective than washing out his mouth with soap.

But I wonder if I'm turning him on or off of mexican food?

Thu May 24, 12:05:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home