Thursday, April 19, 2007

We Have Hit The Shakedown Trifecta


The Easter Bunny, Santa And Now The Tooth Fairy.

Today was a special day in our house. The Champ has lost his first tooth. For the last week he's been mentioning how it has been loose so we were prepared. Mrs. Joe had bought a little pillow with a pocket sewn into it for the Tooth Fairy and she also got a little wooden box to keep the tooth for future embarrassment.

It has occurred a little early, seeing he will not turn 6 until September. The reason for it falling out early is when he was near 2 years old he took a face dive into our driveway and bruised the tooth. Yes, I was watching him at the time. It turned gray and has been noticeable ever since, a constant reminder of the tumble. We have had to keep an eye on it, making sure the new tooth was coming in properly. The dentist said this tooth would be lost earlier than usual due to the bruise. Even still, I was caught off guard when I got home from work today and he came running up to show me this big gap in his mouth. The unfortunate thing is the new tooth will not start to come in early so he will be missing an eye tooth for some time.

So we put him to bed earlier tonight, with the tooth placed in the pillow Mrs. Joe got right next to him. I have a $5 bill sitting here next to the keyboard as I write this. Mrs. Joe had to check with friends on the going rate for a first tooth. Sounds a little steep to me. I'll be swapping out the tooth for the bill and put the tooth in the little wooden box. The box will be put away for who knows how long. Then one day, many years from now, Mrs. Joe or I will stumble onto it and remember tonight and be reminded how much our Champ has grown.

Just another chapter to remind us how lucky we are.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger fatty said...

$5!! my kids are lucky if the tooth fairy leaves some leftover candy from halloween...

but when you do stumble upon that little box years from now, it will be worth it.. :o)

Fri Apr 20, 01:20:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

$5 a tooth! Wow, better set that kid up with a mutual fund for his tooth money! Our kids always got a buck.

But with three kids...our little stash of saved kids ended up looking like the leftovers from Hannibal Lecter.

Fri Apr 20, 09:17:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I have so many kiddy teeth that I keep telling my husband I am going to string them together to make a necklace to wear on Mother's Day.

Won't I be the coolest mom on the block, then???

Sat Apr 21, 11:42:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Darren a/k/a Clare's Dad said...

Clare's been waiting for months to lose a tooth. But $5! It's people like you who are driving the rate up.

Sun Apr 22, 07:06:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home