Sunday, April 29, 2007

New Member Of Red Sox Nation


I believe The Champ is falling in love with baseball. Both playing it and watching the Red Sox on TV. The kid can’t read yet but he can tell you all the information given at the top of the TV screen during the game. We both enjoyed last weekend. Sorry Yankees fans. This weekend is going pretty good, too. We’ll see what happens this afternoon. Our cable company sent us the Red Sox schedule at the beginning of the season and The Champ has put it on the fridge for reference.

“Dad, who’s B-A-L?”

“Baltimore”

“Those are the Oreos, right”

“The Orioles, yes”

And now that New England has finally started warming up, he wants to go outside and have me pitch to him. In between my pitches, his imagination will take over and he will announce himself as a Red Sox player coming to the plate.

“David Ortiz up next.”

Thinking to myself, “Kid, sorry to tell you, thanks to genetics and your dad being only 5’ 7”and at least 50lbs less, you probably will not become the next David Ortiz.”

Last year we played with a novelty wooden bat and ball that Mrs. Joe bought. He did rather well, considering he wasn’t 5 yet. Well enough that I went and dug out my old softball glove for protection. Yes, softball. I was one of those guys that played softball drank beer with the guys from work while in my 20’s.

The first few times out this year, though, I realized this novelty wooden bat wasn’t going to cut it. So I went and bought him his first actual bat. It is nothing special, just an aluminum T-ball bat from Target for $12. Well, when I gave it to him, you’d think I presented him the Holy Grail. He has asked me to go outside and pitch to him everyday since and has done even better with the new bat.

We will see what happens this summer. We could be playing our own backyard game with my 40lb son thinking he’s Big Papi. And if we get rained out, we will spend it on the couch watching the Red Sox.

Either way, there is a new member of Red Sox Nation.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger fatty said...

i remember our first aluminum bat, although i was a little older than five. i hit a line drive straight into my brother's forehead. ahhh one of my favorite childhood memories..

it's good to see you passing on the love of the game...

Mon Apr 30, 09:29:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Hey, I'm one of those people with a beer in one hand and a glove in the other. I love softball. But I LOVE baseball.

Both my kids have the ability to take me out with a well placed hit. Talented buggers. They get that from their father.

I love the fact that I'm taller than you...snicker.

But I bet you're REALLY cute.

wink, wink.

Mon Apr 30, 11:07:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Hey, if not the next David Ortiz... then, at least, the next Morgan Burkhart. Dare to dream!

Mon Apr 30, 02:14:00 PM 2007  
Blogger creative-type dad said...

What? they're not the Oreos...?

Tue May 01, 01:21:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home