Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Blue Devils Made Me Do It

Arguably, this used to be the best time of the year for me. Well, when I had all the free time in the world and absolutely no responsibilities. I would spend hours in front of the t.v. watching the Tar Heels, Jayhawks or Wildcats. Listening to Dick Vitale and his "unbelievable" commentary and everything else that make college basketball great. Now? I don't think so.

It's NCAA basketball tournament time. A time when you can sit around watching hours and hours of college hoops. And if you are like me (and thousands of others), you fill out your brackets for the office pool for a chance of a hundred bucks or so. I even ran the bracket pool at my work. I was the guy sitting in front of the t.v. with 20 or so sheets, hi-lighting winners and redlining losers for 3 straight weekends.

Over the last few years though , life dealt me a hand that forced me to make a decision.

A: 10-12 hours of basketball a day for three straight weekends.

B: Peanut, The Champ & Mrs. Joe (otherwise known as "a life").

This year was different. I didn't watch any games. Not one. I had no free time and when I had some free time, watching a game was one of the last things on my list. I didn't even plan on filling out any brackets. How could I win? I didn't follow it all year.

But then the selection show came. And Monday I got a phone call from the secretary of the president at my job.

"Mark is wondering why you haven't sent out the brackets yet"

I couldn't do it. I don't have the time anymore to run the pool. I told her I was very busy (work related, of course) and asked if someone else could run it this year. Luckily, they found someone else. But the seed (probably a 16) was planted. I quickly printed out the RPI, conference strength of schedules, even found a website showing more information that I could digest in 100 hours. So I made my predictions and paid my $10.

It's now Saturday afternoon. How am I doing? Two words.

Duke Sucks!

Along with most of my picks.

Apparently not watching any games and relying on a bunch of data doesn't a winner make.

I'll consider my $10 a donation. Hopefully the president wins. But this year he will not have me to thank for running it. And it's for the best.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

I hear ya! Who has time to watch all those games, do all the research, actually make informed choices and watch it unfold? I did fill out a bracket but I don't even know how I'm doing so far. If I win (not likely) I'm sure someone will tell me.

Sat Mar 17, 10:28:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I dated a Blue Devil when I was 19.

He was freakishly tall. It didn't work out because I got tired of getting a crick in my neck looking up to talk to him...

Mon Mar 19, 11:46:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Joe said...

Duke will return. Next year they will be tough. I had them in my final four...big mistake. My wife always out picks me cause she uses her head not her heart.

Fri Mar 30, 12:18:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Eliora said...

This is great info to know.

Mon Nov 10, 06:23:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home