Sunday, March 11, 2007

AAJ's Dashboard Confessional


Thanks to Em for his check engine light story. I started this post prior to reading his. Apparently our cars may have been in contact with one another recently.

Have you heard the rule when buying a new car;

Do not buy the first year of a new model.

Mrs Joe & I can attest to this rule. After we were married a few years, The Champ was on the way and we felt we needed a new car. Mrs Joe did not want a mini-van (thank God) so we looked into a small SUV. We made the mistake of buying a 2001 Ford Escape. Which is the first year they were made. Being named "Escape" is appropriate, seeing the damned thing cannot escape from the service bay of our mechanic.

The latest episode occurred last week. Mrs. Joe was saying the "check engine" light had been coming on so she made another appointment with our mechanic. Luckily for us, we trust our local mechanic and he's fairly cheap. Maybe it's because Mrs. Joe brings him cookies at Christmas.

So Mrs. Joe dropped the car off Friday. I got home from work and went to pick it up. After our friendly exchanges, I asked him how much was the bill. He told me hooked it up to the computer and it did not report any problems so don't worry about it. He also apologized because he knew I had to take this information back to Mrs. Joe.

"If it comes on again, bring it back and I'll take another look."

Thanks, I think, because now I had to tell Mrs. Joe that nothing was wrong with the truck. Or at least nothing the mechanic could see. So I got home and she gave me that "Do we need to take out a second mortgage to pay for this piece of shit truck" look. I responded;

"The good news is it didn't cost us anything."

"The bad news is he didn't find any reports of a "check engine" light going on."

"What do you mean no reports of a "check engine" light going on? I seen it!"

"Keep an eye out for it again and let me know."

So I thought I was all set. Wait until the light comes on again and deal with it then. Well, Mrs. Joe and I left a few days later in the truck and low and behold the light came on. I asked her:

"Is this the light you're talking about?"

"Yes. That's it. Do you believe me now? I told you it was coming on."

"Hon. That's the low coolant light, not the check engine light."

Somehow I get the feeling this is my fault.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

I hate all the idiot lights in cars these days. VW especially seems to think they need to be "cars for dummies" because in addition to the light, it makes a sound.

And check engine is the worst! It could be anything from the gas cap wasn't screwed on tightly enough to STOP! or your engine will fall out!

Wed Mar 14, 11:38:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I think your wife and I may be related....

Wed Mar 14, 01:36:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

LOL...at least I know it is our check engine light. Cause I looked in the manual to be certain. And now the garage guys have seen it. And it is going in for Round Two of electrical work next Monday.

Thu Mar 15, 08:47:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

I found my way here via my good friend, t. Awesome to find another Daddy Blogger! And I knew what the Mendoza Line is already.

Thu Mar 15, 02:44:00 PM 2007  
Blogger John said...

I too found my way here via another blog.

and can I just say...

Car maintenance sucks!

Fri Mar 16, 02:37:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Mr Big Dubya said...

Heh - Mendoza Line - nice

First year of model buyer here - 2001 PT Cruiser - biggest POS and waste of $$ ever. The thing sucked gas like it was a Mack truck and finally had to be pawned off so I could buy a CR-V instead. Much happier.

BTW - stopped by via my wife's place. Glad to have found you.

Fri Mar 16, 09:14:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home