Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Darwinian Mistake for Career Builder


Sorry for the late post but I have to rant about this.

Like most people, I was in front of the TV this past Sunday watching the Super Bowl. Wait; can I say “Super Bowl”? I know the NFL has some rule against using the term “Super Bowl”, but I think it only applies for use in advertising. Seeing nobody is paying me to do this, I think I’m all set.

Anyway, I was looking forward to the game but I was also looking forward to the commercials. They save the best ads for the Super Bowl because they know the world is watching. Knowing this, I will wait to get up for another beer while the game is on. I need to be ready for the next Bud Light or Doritos ad.

This brings me to my gripe. Why did Career Builder abandon the monkeys? For two years, the Career Builder monkeys were the funniest Super Bowl commercials going. Here are the old ads at YouTube. They were running a commercial a few days before the game telling me to "watch the Career Builder evolve". Here are the new Career Builder ads. I was looking forward to seeing them, but once they were shown I was very disappointed.

Simply put:

Evolution sucks!

The 3 new ads are funny but they are too involved. Nobody at any Super Bowl party was going to get the entire pitch after watching it only once. There is too much going on. I had to go to Career Builder‘s website to watch them again to fully understand. They were funny once I watched them again, but for an average joe with a beer in one hand, a buffalo wing in the other and everybody yelling about the previous ad, you need to simplify it so it is easily understood.

Maybe Career Builder should keep using the monkeys because the commercials are for monkeys?

Anyway, that’s enough griping. Seeing I wrote most of this post while at work this past week, I may need Career Builder myself.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

I was actually disappointed by most of the commercials. Some of them seem to be trying too hard. Others just seemed lame. Maybe we've become jaded to them.

Thu Feb 08, 10:07:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home